Philadelphia in Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A Working-Class House in the Capital City
Duc de la Rochefoucault-Liancourt, 1783
The house of a workman stood here in the late 1700s when Philadelphia was the temporary capital of the United States. Its location is marked by the brick square in front of you. The house had only two rooms and an attic, each on top of the other. Houses like this often served as both residence and workplace.
A shoemaker, a turner, a coachman, a tavernkeeper, and a coppersmith --each in turn--lived here during a ten-year period. Like eight of ten Philadelphians, they rented rather than owned their own houses.
Today the house is gone, and few traces of its occupants remain. Their belongings were inexpensive and commonplace, things easily discarded. No one wrote their biographies. Rarely did their names stand out in history. Yet they made up the vast majority of Philadelphia's population.
Erected by Independence National Historical Park.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1783.
Location. 39° 56.851′ N, 75° 8.871′ W. Marker is in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in Philadelphia County. Marker is at the intersection of S. 4th Street and Walnut Street, on the left when traveling south on S. 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Philadelphia PA 19106, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. James Madison 4th President lived here (a few steps from this marker); Todd House (within shouting distance of this marker); Old St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church (within shouting distance of this marker); The Philadelphia Contributionship (within shouting distance of this marker); Robert Morris (1734 - 1806) (within shouting distance of this marker); A Backyard in the Capital City (within shouting distance of this marker); “Evangeline” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Quaker Meeting House Site (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Philadelphia.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 17, 2017. It was originally submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 974 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on August 1, 2017, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. 3. submitted on July 16, 2008, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.