Near Big Pine in Inyo County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Zurich was the main railroad station for Big Pine and points east. Its name was changed to Zurich in 1923 because the eastern slope of the Sierra reminded local resident Emelie Nikolaus of her native Switzerland.
The station fell into disuse during the 1940's and was abandoned when the railway ceased operation in 1960.
Erected 1993 by Slim Princess Chapter 395 E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 37° 10.906′ N, 118° 15.626′ W. Marker is near Big Pine, California, in Inyo County. Marker is on California Route 168 1.9 miles east of U.S. 395, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Big Pine CA 93513, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Roosevelt Tree (approx. 1.7 miles away); Big Pine Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Westgaard Pass Toll Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Project Sierra Wave (approx. 14.3 miles away); History of "Dangerous Arrest" (approx. 14˝ miles away); The Ernest Kinney Teamster Family Mural (approx. 14.6 miles away); Slim Princess (approx. 14.6 miles away); Whiskey Creek History (approx. 14.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Big Pine.
Also see . . .
1. Zurich. Zurich was the first town south of Laws, CA on the Carson & Colorado narrow gauge railroad. (Submitted on February 28, 2016.)
2. Slim Princess. Article by Mallory Hope Ferrell. Excerpt: “Upon completion of the line, an Inauguration Special was run the entire length of the road on July 12, 1883. Aboard the special were Henry Yerington, accompanied by Darius Mills, William Sharon and other officials of the C&C. After riding through desert heat from Mound House to Hawley, Mills is quoted by both Kneiss and Beebe as turning to his companions and saying: ‘Gentlemen, either we built this line 300 miles too long, or 300 years too soon’.” (Submitted on February 29, 2016.)
Additional keywords. C&C Railroad
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 28, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. This page has been viewed 315 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 28, 2016, by Alvis Hendley of San Francisco, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.