Jenner in Sonoma County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Fort Ross Chapel
This chapel was a part of the settlement founded by the Russians in 1812 and known as Fort Ross. The fort was in the form of a quadrangle, about 300 feet square, inclosed by a redwood wall, with two blockhouses at opposite corners. Fort Ross contained fifty-nine buildings, nine of which, including this chapel, were within the inclosure. The Russians withdrew in 1841, selling their improvements and stock to John A. Sutter of Sutter's Fort. Property acquired by the State of California in 1906.
Erected 1928 by Historic Landmarks Committee, Native Sons of the Golden West.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 38° 30.871′ N, 123° 14.581′ W. Marker is in Jenner, California, in Sonoma County. Marker can be reached from Fort Ross Road, ¼ mile west of Coast Highway (California Route 1), on the left when traveling west. Fort Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jenner CA 95450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Russian Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); The Russian Village Site - Sloboda (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Ross Defenses (about 300 feet away); Sandy Beach Cove (about 500 feet away); The Native Alaskan Village (about 600 feet away); Fort Ross Cove (about 600 feet away); California's First Windmill (about 700 feet away); The Call Family Residence (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jenner.
More about this marker. This marker is inside the stockade at Fort Ross State Historical Park. It is mounted on the inside wall of the fort, near the entrance to the chapel and, more-or-less, behind the framework that holds the chapel bell.
Also see . . .
1. Fort Ross State Historic Park. Fort Ross was a thriving Russian-American Company settlement from 1812 to 1841. This commercial company chartered by Russia's tsarist government controlled all Russian exploration, trade and settlement in the North Pacific, and established permanent settlements in Alaska and California. Fort Ross was the southernmost settlement in the Russian colonization of the North American continent, and was established as an agricultural base to supply Alaska. It was the site of California's first windmills and shipbuilding, and Russian scientists were among (Submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
2. Fort Ross Conservancy. Fort Ross, one of the main tourist attractions between Bodega Bay and Fort Bragg, is a California State Historic Park showcasing a historic Russian-era fort compound that has been designated National Historic Landmark status. (Submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
3. The History of Fort Ross. (Submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
4. Fort Ross State Historic Park. Fort Ross State Historic Park, a California State Park located on the coast of Sonoma County, was established as one of the first State Parks in 1908. The name, derived from the word for Russia (Rossiia), was originally established by the Russian American Company, a commercial hunting and trading company chartered by the tsarist government, with shares held by the members of the Tsar’s family, court nobility and high officials. This history is very (Submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 498 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on March 8, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. Photos: 1. submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. 2. submitted on July 14, 2020, by Diane Phillips of Pittsburg, California. 3. submitted on September 26, 2013. 4. submitted on September 26, 2013, by James King of San Miguel, California. 5. submitted on February 22, 2009, by Karen Key of Sacramento, California. 6, 7. submitted on March 8, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. 8. submitted on April 30, 2016, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.