Longwood in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Historic Longwood/E.W. Henck
Mr. E.W. Henck, a young man from Boston, arrived in this wilderness section of then Orange County in November 1872. He selected a site to homestead in what is now Historic Longwood. Intent on establishing a town, he named it Longwood after a beautiful Boston suburb (now Brookline) that he helped lay out as a young engineer. At that time the Hartley family had a homestead southeast of Henck's. The Searcy family and the Rand family were other early residents of the area.
Mr. Henck platted the town, became the first postmaster in 1876, and in 1879, along with Mr. Haskell and Mr. Rand, obtained a charter for the railroad between Sanford and Orlando. The railroad was completed in 1880 with a station in Longwood. The village grew rapidly with the building of the railroad, with the establishment of a large sawmill owned by Capt. Peter Demens, orange groves, and the arrival of winter visitors. In 1883 Longwood was incorporated as a town with Mr. Henck becoming the first mayor.
The Florida land boom of the early 1920's again saw a revival of Longwood with the paving of many streets, a municipal water system, and in 1923, its re-incorporation as a city. In nearby areas attractions were built that included a dog track, a horse track, and a golf course. The boom fizzled and the depression of the 1930's left the Longwood population much as it was before the boom started.
The population growth of central Florida in the later part of the 20th century began Longwood's expansion outside of the historic district. The area platted by Mr. Henck became Longwood's Historic District and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected 1998 by Seminole County Historical Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1872.
Location. 28° 42.034′ N, 81° 20.898′ W. Marker is in Longwood, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is on Wilma Street south of West Church Avenue, on the rightTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Longwood FL 32750, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Longwood Hotel/Bradley McIntyre House (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Heroes Monument (about 700 feet away); The Senator II (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lady Liberty (approx. 1.6 miles away); Big Tree (approx. 1.6 miles away); "The Phoenix"… (approx. 1.7 miles away); John & Annie Griffin (approx. 1.8 miles away); Concord Cemetery (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Longwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 247 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.