“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lake Mary in Seminole County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

Lake Mary Historic Sites

Lake Mary Historic Sites Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
1. Lake Mary Historic Sites Marker
Inscription.  1. Site of first store. West side of Second St. between Lake Mary Ave and Grand Bend Ave. Circa 1890
2. Site of A. E. Sjoblom general merchandise store. Between Crystal Lake Ave and South Florida Railroad at First St. Circa late 1800
3. Site of first church South side of Crystal Lake Av between First and Second Streets. Built by A. E. Sjoblom 1892. First congregation (Presbyterian) organized 1894 by the Rev John F Sundell also minister at Upsala Presbyterian Church.
4. Site of Florida Railroad depot (later Atlantic Coastline) east side of tracks at Palmetto St. crossing. Erected 1901. Razed in 1942. Railroad tracks laid in 1880.
5. Sites of first five Lake Mary Post Offices
a. Home of William N Webster-Postmaster 1887-1906 East of RR at cemetery
b. Webster second site. Behind A. E. Sjoblom store in old freight building. Moved there by mules.
c. Home of Bertie C. Martin Postmaster 1906-1919. East of RR at Cemetery.
d. A.E. Sjoblom store 1919-1927 Postmaster 1919-1932. East Crystal lake Ave at RR
e. A.E. Sjoblom third store. A two story brick building. Located northwest corner Crystal Lake Ave at First
Lake Mary Historical Museum and marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
2. Lake Mary Historical Museum and marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
St. Post Office was located there 1927-1932 when it was razed.
6. Site of A.E. Sjoblom public water works and tank. Mid-19220's Between Old Lake Mary Road and Wilbur Ave
7. Site of A.E. Sjoblom two story brick garage. Corner First St and Crystal Lake Ave. Erected 1926
8. Site of A.E. Sjoblom skating rink. East side of First St between Wilbur Ave and Crystal Lake Ave. Erected 1926
9. A.E. Sjoblom Memorial Parks. A chain of nine small neighborhood parks. Platted 1916
10. Lake Mary Cemetery. Land donated by Judge David J. Pulling. 1894
11. Chamber of Commerce building and Community Center. Erected by Frank Evans 1926
12. Frank Evans two story brick building and water tower. Erected 1926. Dr. O.J. Miller Drug and Sundry store was an original occupant. 1932 part of the building housed the Post Office. Jonathan D. Evans was Postmaster.
13. Service station garage and house (house later razed) built by Frank Evans mid-1920. Rented to Guy Wyman. Later rented to Harvey and Lois Ought. Later sold to them.
14. Homer and Lena Gleason general store gas pump and home. Built by them in 1925.
15. Presbyterian Church. West Wilbur Ave. Construction started in 1927 was organized and directed by Rev. James M. Thompson. Strongly supported by the community with volunteer labor and money. Dedicated in 1930.
16. Rusticated cement block house. Wilbur
Lake Mary Historic Sites Map image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Tim Fillmon, December 24, 2015
3. Lake Mary Historic Sites Map
Ave at Country Club Rd. Erected by A.E. Sjoblom mid-1920 as a store. Instead given to daughter Amanda Sjoblom Reaves upon her marriage. This material obtained locally used only in the early 20th century.
17. Douglas Building. Crystal Lake Ave. Erected 1932 as the Post Office. Helen Douglas, Postmaster 1932-1947
18. Site of early school. Northwest corner of Lake Mary Blvd at Country Club Rd. Built 1885 on land donated by Miles Tanner. Designed and construction supervised by Wm. H. Evans. Total cost $449.
19. Grammar school erected in 1925 on land donated by Frank Evans and A.E. Sjoblom. Financed by Frank Evans. Rebuilt 1987.
20. Site of dance casino-bath house on Crystal Lake near Lake Mary Ave. Mid-1920. Owned by Mrs. H.A. Phillips. Managed by Sherman and Laura Sewell.
21. Site of Planter Company Starch Factory. Fifth St at Crystal Lake Ave. 1901-1909.
22. Site of Planter Company hotel on west Wilbur Ave. Center of social affairs 1920's.
23. Oldest known existing house in Lake Mary. 182 Wilbur Ave. Erected 1899.
24. Site of John Bent grove on Crystal Lake east side. 159 acres bought in 1875 for $198. The original name of the railroad stop here was Bent Station.
25. Evansdale Park built by Frank Evans at west end of Lake Mary. Bath house swimming dock and pavilion provided early center for outdoor community activities. First community
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Easter Sunrise service there 5-17-1927. Services continue today on Frank Evans lakeside homestead.
Erected 1994 by Lake Mary Historical Commission, Donated by the Lake Mary Community Improvement Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 28° 45.495′ N, 81° 19.328′ W. Marker is in Lake Mary, Florida, in Seminole County. Marker is at the intersection of North Country Club Road and West Lakeview Avenue, on the right when traveling south on North Country Club Road. Marker is in front of the Lake Mary Historical Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 158 N Country Club Rd, Lake Mary FL 32746, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Presbyterian Church of Lake Mary (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mayfair Country Club (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Dala Horse (approx. 1.7 miles away); Oviedo Turntable (approx. 1.7 miles away); Fixed Signal (approx. 1.7 miles away); Osteen Bridge Turner (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Folks Home (approx. 1.7 miles away); Seminole County Courthouses (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 468 times since then and 126 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Oct. 2, 2022