Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dallas in Collin County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Frankford

 
 
Frankford Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, February 27, 2016
1. Frankford Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  The site of the former town of Frankford consists of the three-acre wagon yard, five-acre Frankford Church area and three-acre cemetery. The town of Frankford grew around Indian Springs after W.C. McKamy and his family moved to Texas in 1852. They sold firewood and water to settlers moving along Preston Road. Some of these settlers stayed at Frankford, creating the growing town near Indian Springs. The Frankford Post Office stood at the intersection of the Dallas North Tollway and Hilton Head Drive. At its height Frankford had a steam grist mill, corn mill, cotton gin, blacksmith shop, two general stores and three churches, with 83 residents.

In 1858, the White Rock Masonic Lodge was organized at Walnut Grove, and in 1872 moved to a building in Collin County, located on what is now the northwest side of Frankford Cemetery. The Hall became the fraternal, religious and educational center for miles around. A church building was also erected on the cemetery grounds in 1880, only to be destroyed by a tornado. Some of the wood in the current Frankford Church came from the original church.

The end of Frankford came with the growth
Frankford Marker in context image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, February 27, 2016
2. Frankford Marker in context
Click or scan to see
this page online
of the railroad. The line bypassed Frankford and instead went through Addison, eventually prompting the move of the Lodge Hall to Addison in 1907. The town of Frankford no longer existed, though the larger landowning families like the Cooks and the McKamys remained. In 1948, the Frankford Cemetery Association was incorporated to help maintain the cemetery.
Marker is property of The State of Texas

 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18081.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1852.
 
Location. 32° 59.322′ N, 96° 49.432′ W. Marker is in Dallas, Texas, in Collin County. Marker is on Frankford Cemetery Road south of Muirfield Drive, on the left when traveling west. The marker stands at the end of a walk over bridge, next to Frankford Cemetery Road, in a park-like area. Nearby are Frankford Church and Frankford Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 17405 Muirfield Dr,, Dallas TX 75287, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Frankford Church (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Baptist Church of Renner (approx. 1.7 miles away); Addison State Bank (approx. 2.1 miles away); Warner Cemetery
Frankford Marker and Frankford Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, February 27, 2016
3. Frankford Marker and Frankford Church
(approx. 2.3 miles away); White Rock Chapel (approx. 3 miles away); First Baptist Church, Hebron (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mount Pisgah Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Furneaux Cemetery (approx. 4.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dallas.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 16, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 621 times since then and 84 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 16, 2016, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93072

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Nov. 29, 2022