Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stinnett in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Hutchinson County Courthouse

 
 
Hutchinson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
1. Hutchinson County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Hutchinson County, named for prominent judge and writer Anderson Hutchinson, was one of 54 counties created out of the District of Bexar in 1876 by the Texas Legislature. It was not until 1901, however, that the county was officially organized. That year a temporary county courthouse was erected in the county seat of Plemons. A permanent courthouse was built in Plemons by contractor E. E. Ackers. Stinnett replaced Plemons as Hutchinson County Seat in 1926.

The county courthouse was temporarily housed in an office building in downtown Stinnett in 1926 before this courthouse was erected in 1927 at a time of major oil discoveries in the area. Designed by Amarillo architect W. C. Townes and built by local contractor C. S. Lambie & Company, the Spanish renaissance revival style building also housed the county jail. It features brick construction with cut-stone ornamentation, a 3-bay primary facade with grand entry bay, raised basement with end entries, metal sash windows and second floor window with round-arch stone lintels. Friezes at the east and west entrances of the courthouse depict the petroleum, farm and ranch, and cattle industries,
Hutchinson County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
2. Hutchinson County Courthouse Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
historically the three principal commercial enterprises in the area.

Recorded Texas Historic Landmark

 
Erected 1962 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2602.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
 
Location. 35° 49.644′ N, 101° 26.554′ W. Marker is in Stinnett, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on North Main Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 North Main Street, Stinnett TX 79083, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Isaac McCormick Cottage (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gulf Dial #1 Oil Well (approx. 2½ miles away); First Battle of Adobe Walls (approx. 4½ miles away); Plemons Cemetery (approx. 5.9 miles away); Bents Creek (approx. 5.9 miles away); Battle of Adobe Walls (approx. 5.9 miles away); Fritz Thompson Bridge (approx. 5.9 miles away); Drift Fence (approx. 8.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stinnett.
 
Hutchinson County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, March 15, 2016
3. Hutchinson County Courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 318 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 24, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=93250

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022