Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Madison in Madison County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

St. Mary's Episcopal Church

 
 
St. Mary's Episcopal Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 6, 2014
1. St. Mary's Episcopal Church Marker
Inscription.  The congregation of St. Mary's Episcopal Church was organized in 1859, but the parish became dormant during the Civil War when services were held irregularly. Twenty years later, on July 6, 1879, the congregation appointed a committee to coordinate fund raising to build a church. The church's cornerstone was laid on August 1, 1879; and the completed church was consecrated by the second bishop of the Diocese of Florida, John Freeman Young, on May 1, 1883. St. Mary's Episcopal Church is a good example of the Carpenter Gothic architectural style and is one of the oldest churches in Florida. Carpenter Gothic architecture is an adaptation of the Gothic Revival style, which was popularized in the U.S. by architect Richard Upjohn. Bishop Young was a confidant of Upjohn, and he advocated the construction of Carpenter Gothic style churches around Florida. St. Mary's Church is distinguished by a steep roof, scissor trusses, pointed arch windows and doors, and decorative stained glass. The only additions to the church since its construction have been air conditioning, memorials, and a parish hall extension. St. Mary's Episcopal Church was listed in the
St. Mary's Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
By Tim Fillmon, August 6, 2014
2. St. Mary's Episcopal Church
Marker is just out of the picture on the right.
National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
A Florida Heritage Site


 
Erected 2013 by St. Mary's and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-797.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 30° 28.212′ N, 83° 24.829′ W. Marker is in Madison, Florida, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Northeast Horry Avenue and Marion Street, on the right when traveling north on Northeast Horry Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 140 NE Horry Ave, Madison FL 32340, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Dial-Goza House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Four Freedoms Monument (about 400 feet away); Seminole Indian War Blockhouse (about 500 feet away); The Wardlaw-Smith House (about 600 feet away); Wardlaw-Smith-Goza Conference Center (about 600 feet away); Captain Richard G. Bradford (about 600 feet away); Pioneer Hickstown Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); W.T. Davis Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 25, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
May. 29, 2020