Richland in Union County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Richland Methodist Episcopal Church
1/4 Mile ->
Rev. S.W. Ingham, a travelling Missionary, in 1861 baptized Minnesota Watson, daughter of Thomas and Adeline Watson, who with A.J. Bell and wife were its earliest members in the Brule Creek community. The Indian War of the Outbreak in August 1862 drove the settlers away but they returned that fall and the church was reorganized by Rev. Ingham with Jason Payne as Pastor and about twenty-five members.
The church prospered under various pastors until in 1885 W.H.H. Fate, J.L. Jordin, Albert Shurtliff, John R. Kerr and Frank Wade, obtained a church charter from Dakota Territory and it was May 12, 1885 when the trustees procured lots and the church was built by Gordan & Dean Blanchard and dedicated it as the First Methodist Episcopal Church of Richland on December 20, 1885. The present structure, with later modifications, still houses the Congregation.
W.H.H. Fate played an important role in the continued church history. He was known as "Father in Israel". There have been many important people in the life of this church, but it was Fate who laid the cornerstone of its continuity.
Located one-fourth mile south
Erected 1967 by Members of the Church and State Highway Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 42° 45.693′ N, 96° 39.319′ W. Marker is in Richland, South Dakota, in Union County. Marker is at the intersection of State Highway 50 and 4th Street, on the right when traveling east on State Highway 50. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elk Point SD 57025, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Fort Brule (approx. 0.9 miles away); St. Paul Lutheran Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Giants in the Earth Country (approx. 1.9 miles away); Elk Point (approx. 5.4 miles away); Lewis & Clark Campsite / Eli Wixson Farm Site (approx. 5.7 miles away); Return to "Elk Sign" Campsite (approx. 5.7 miles away); Entering an Uncertain Land (approx. 5.7 miles away); A Land of Plenty (approx. 5.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 4, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 196 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 4, 2016, by Ruth VanSteenwyk of Aberdeen, South Dakota. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.