Near Skellytown in Hutchinson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Spring Creek School
In 1901, the Hutchinson County commissioners court divided the county into four school districts, Spring Creek being named district #4. At that time, schools were under the supervision of a superintendent of county education, who by 1903 was W. B. Haile. When the area's population shifted, the first schoolhouse was moved to Haile Ranch and later to the Terry Ranch before becoming too small for the number of students enrolled. It was replaced sometime before 1930; this second building burned in 1932 but was rebuilt. The next building, a red brick structure, was completed in 1938 and offered the students and teachers six classrooms, a gymnasium-auditorium and a library.
In 1949, the White Deer Creek School District consolidated with Spring Creek. At the turn of the 21st century, the Spring Creek School retained its status as an independent school district, serving this rural part of Hutchinson County.
Erected 2001 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12442.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1900.
Location. 35° 40.125′ N, 101° 17.958′ W. Marker is near Skellytown, Texas, in Hutchinson County. Marker is on Farm to Market Road 2171, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9849 FM2171, Skellytown TX 79080, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Booker T. Washington School (approx. 4.9 miles away); East Ward Elementary School (approx. 5 miles away); Twentieth Century Club (approx. 5 miles away); The Panhandle Oil Boom & the Borger Field (approx. 5.1 miles away); Nitro Storage Safe & Do-It-Yourself Drilling Rig (approx. 5.1 miles away); 1950 GMC Winch Truck (approx. 5.1 miles away); LeRoi Motor-Generator Set (approx. 5.1 miles away); Auxiliary Equipment from the Early Borger Oil Field (approx. 5.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 292 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.