Phoenix in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Arizona Copper Company's Locomotive #2
The Arizona Copper Company of Morenci, Arizona purchased five of these locomotives between 1882 and 1886 to haul ore on the Coronado railroad. The H. K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania manufactured them in 1882.
Locomotive #2 ran on 20" tracks. This is 16” less than narrow gauge, and 36 1/2" less than standard gauge tracks. The small locomotive measures only 17 feet long, by 5 feet 5 inches wide and weighs just 11 tons.
Locomotive #2 was abandoned in 1923 at the top of the steep 1,200 foot Coronado Incline. Phelps Dodge Morenci, Inc. recovered it in 1990 from the top of the incline at Morenci Mine and donated it to the Arizona Department of Mines and Mineral Resources.
Restoration funding was provided by the Arizona Heritage Fund and Phelps Dodge Morenci, Inc.
The locomotive was donated by Phelps Dodge Morenci, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1882.
Location. 33° 26.901′ N, 112° 5.535′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1502 West Washington Street, Phoenix AZ 85007, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boras Headframe (here, next to this marker); Arizona's U.S.S. Arizona Memorial - In Memory of the Gallant Men (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Arizona World War II Memorial (about 400 feet away); U.S.S. Arizona Signal Mast (about 500 feet away); The Arizona Korean War Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Jacob Waltz (about 600 feet away); Father Albert Braun O.F.M. (about 600 feet away); Jewish War Veterans Memorial (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phoenix.
Also see . . . The Arizona Copper Company expanded its operations with an extension of the Coronado Railroad.
In 1879, the Coronado Railroad, a 20 inch, baby gauge, was constructed to link the base of the Longfellow Mine incline to the smelter. In 1880, a steam engine replaced mule power. The railroad continued to operate until 1922. (Submitted on April 12, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 441 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2016, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 3. submitted on July 28, 2020, by Peter Fischer of Phoenix, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.