Elkmont in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Train #2 going north, circa 1945. Elkmont had three trains a day.
Railroad companies built section houses along the tracks to provide housing for their workers. This particular one was moved from the tracks to school property in the late '50s to serve as "The Scout House" for Boy Scout Troop 248.
Elkmont was indeed "King Cotton Country:" UP to 500 bales of cotton were sold in one week during January 1898. Elkmont had other bumper crops years: one was during the mid-1950s.
Livery Stables were multi-functional, providing care for the animals, seed, feed, and excursions for buggy rides or family outings. The stable on the left was on Railroad Street, and the one below was on Smith Avenue.
This old water tank was built in 1936 to serve the nearby cotton warehouses.
E.T. Gray and his eldest son, Fred Gray, Sr., ran a general store and a cotton gin in Elkmont as early as 1900. The gin became Fred Gray and Son (Fred Gray Jr. and George Gray). Gray Brothers was in operation until 1987 when it was sold to George Gray Jr. and Perry McNatt. Shown in the photos are Gray's Gin, circa 1918 (outside) and circa 1956 (inside).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 34° 55.753′ N, 86° 58.4′ W. Marker is in Elkmont, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on Upper Fort Hampton Road (County Route 49) east of Railroad Street, on the left when traveling east. Located along the Richard Martin Trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkmont AL 35620, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Downtown Scenes (here, next to this marker); Elkmont Pride: Family-School-Church (here, next to this marker); Elkmont, Alabama / Tenn. & Ala. Central Railroad (here, next to this marker); Limestone County's First High School / The Delmore Brothers (here, next to this marker); Sulphur Creek Trestle, 1864 (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle (approx. 1˝ miles away); Old New Garden Cemetery / New Garden Cumberland Presbyterian Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Pettusville (approx. 3.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkmont.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2016, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 12, 2016, by Sandra Hughes Tidwell of Killen, Alabama, USA. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.