Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The MonCon Railroad
Materials on the Move
— Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area —
To increase efficiency, a single-track railroad bridge was put into service in 1887. This bridge was replaced by the 1898 "Y" trestle and 1901 Hot Metal bridges that exist today. The MonCon Bridges made the Jones & Laughlin plant more productive by allowing for the movement of hot iron from the blast furnace plant on the northern side of the river to the open hearth and other steelmaking facilities on the South Side and the movement of steel ingots from the South Side to the rolling mills on the northern side.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1885.
Location. 40° 25.714′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15203, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Materials Handling (a few steps from this marker); Open Hearth Steel (within shouting distance of this marker); Rivers of Steel (within shouting distance of this marker); Cast Iron Columns (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Making Steel The J&L Way (about 500 feet away); Shaping Steel (about 600 feet away); Hub of Activity (about 800 feet away); Jones & Laughlin Steel Company (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 243 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 22, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.