Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Walnut Street YMCA

 
 
Walnut Street YMCA Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
1. Walnut Street YMCA Marker
Inscription.  Walnut Street YMCA (Young Men's Christian Association) was designed by Wilmington architect G. Morris Whitehead II as a community center for the city's African American population. Construction began on the three-story structure in 1939 and the building was dedicated in September 1940. A gift from Mr. and Mrs H. Fletcher Brown funded both the 1939 construction and a maintenance trust fund. The finished site featured a fully equipped gymnasium, auditorium, pool, library, bowling alleys, and billiard room. The facility housed both the YMCA and the YWCA, and provided meeting space for organizations like the Human "Rights League of Delaware and the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). A 1941 meeting sponsored by the National Negro Congress to support an equal rights bill for Delaware African Americans was held here; speakers included John Pl. Davis of the Negro Congress, and Louis L. Redding, Delaware's first African American attorney. The Walnut Street YMCA has continued as a hub for Delaware's African Am erican community because of its proximity to Wilmington's Eastside neighborhood. In 1998, the original Walnut Street
Walnut Street YMCA image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Pfingsten, April 24, 2016
2. Walnut Street YMCA
Click or scan to see
this page online
YMCA was demolished to build a new YMCA on the same site. The tower and relief friezes, depicting Marian Anderson, Booker T. Washington, and Dr. George Washington Carver, are the only original 1939 remnants used in the new building.
 
Erected 2015 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-215.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansFraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1939.
 
Location. 39° 44.661′ N, 75° 32.687′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is at the intersection of 10th Street and Walnut Street on 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Knotty Pine Restaurant (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Saint Joseph Church (about 400 feet away); The Monday Club (about 500 feet away); Suffrage Rally (about 700 feet away); Gravesite of Bishop Peter Spencer (1779-1843) and His Devoted Wife, Annes (about 800 feet away); Ezion-Mount Carmel United Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Spencer Plaza rain gardens are working to keep Wilmington's waterways clear!
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 800 feet away); Louis L. Redding City County Building (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Wilmington.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 53 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on April 25, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94204

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 4, 2022