Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

McClurg Iron Foundry

 
 
McClurg Iron Foundry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, August 1, 2016
1. McClurg Iron Foundry Marker
Inscription.  Established in 1804, it was the first air foundry in Pittsburgh. During the War of 1812, it supplied cannons and ammunition, primarily destined for the fleet on Lake Erie. In 1835, the first locomotive steam engine made west of the Alleghenies was built on this site.
 
Erected 2016 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission and the Dolley Payne Madison Chapter United States Daughters of 1812.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsWar of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission, and the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1804.
 
Location. 40° 26.417′ N, 79° 59.94′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is at the intersection of Fifth Avenue and Smithfield Street, on the right when traveling north on Fifth Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15222, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kaufmann's Department Store and Clock (within shouting
McClurg Iron Foundry Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, May 21, 2016
2. McClurg Iron Foundry Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
distance of this marker); In Commemoration (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Oliver Avenue (about 400 feet away); James E. Rohr (about 500 feet away); This Building Marks (about 500 feet away); Trinity Church Burying Ground (about 500 feet away); Mellon Square (about 600 feet away); Jane Grey Swisshelm Childhood Home (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pittsburgh.
 
More about this marker. Marker was dedicated on May 14, 2016
 
Also see . . .  Historical marker for foundry dedicated Downtown. May 14, 2016 Tribune-Review article (Submitted on May 21, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.) 
 
Additional keywords. United States Daughters of 1812
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 1, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 21, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 553 times since then and 82 times this year. Last updated on May 21, 2016, by Susan Gillette Meer of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1. submitted on August 1, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   2. submitted on May 21, 2016, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=94741

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Oct. 3, 2022