Monticello in San Juan County, Utah — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Utah Historic Site
The Fletcher Hammond family moved into the home in 1924 and remodeled it for use as a hotel, one of the first in San Juan County. Between 1933-36 Jack Nielson owned and operated the hotel and a dairy business on the property.
Kenneth and Elizabeth Summers moved here on July 4, 1936 and continued to operate the Hyland Hotel until 1974. Many salesmen, scientists, businessmen, tourists, and teachers enjoyed the home-like atmosphere inspired by Elizabeth's outlook that it was “a home first, and a hotel second”. The front office was used by visiting doctors to see patients. The building also served as a community gathering place for
Erected 1955 by Division of State History.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1936.
Location. 37° 52.256′ N, 109° 20.704′ W. Marker is in Monticello, Utah, in San Juan County. Marker is on South 100 West, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 116 South 100 West, Monticello UT 84535, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cowboy Tack Shed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Log Cabin (about 400 feet away); Sod Roof Cabin (about 500 feet away); Old Log Church (about 500 feet away); Monticello (about 700 feet away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Traveling Jail Cell (approx. ¼ mile away); Verdure (approx. 5.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Monticello.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 489 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 10, 2016, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona.