Union City in Branch County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Union City Heritage Water Trail
In June 1925, 178 members of the Alumni Association gave donations of $970.19 to purchase Davis Field for construction of a track, baseball diamond, tennis courts and football field. In 1926, the land was donated to the school, and on June 14, 1929, it was dedicated and named Alumni Field. There are no longer any tennis courts, and many improvements have been made over the years including converting the track to a rubberized all-weather surface in 1990.
Erected 2016 by Union City Heritage Water Trail. (Marker Number 20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public Work • Sports. In addition, it is included in the Michigan - Union City Heritage Water Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1925.
Location. 42° 3.88′ N, 85° 8.523′ W. Marker is in Union City, Michigan, in Branch County. This marker is meant to be viewed by paddling the St. Joseph River as part of the Union City Heritage Water Trail. It is on the south bank of the river a few hundred yards west of the Park Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Union City MI 49094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Park Street "Spencer" Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Head of St. Joe Navigation (approx. 0.2 miles away); The French & Trading Posts (approx. ¼ mile away); Gerald Davison's Hilltop House (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union City Milling and Mill Race Outlet (approx. 0.3 miles away); Union City Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Elkhorn Lodge: Home of "Skinny" Bullock (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Flood of 1908 & Broadway Bridge "Island" (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Union City.
More about this marker. There are 28 of these markers comprising the Union City Heritage Water Trail on the Coldwater River and the St. Joseph River launched in 2016 for the village's Sesquicentennial. These markers can be viewed by paddling the 5 mile stretch of river from the JP Palmer Launch in the Village of Union City to the Riley Dam on the SW Corner of Union Lake. Most of these markers CANNOT by accessed by foot as they are on private property along the river. Please do not trespass. More details can be found at www.uchwt.com
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on June 16, 2016, by Val Rossman of Union City, Michigan. This page has been viewed 233 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on June 16, 2016, by Val Rossman of Union City, Michigan. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. View of marker in context • Can you help?