Winters in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
St. John's Lutheran Church
As more Lutheran families arrived, the time was right to organize a church. The Mission Board of the Texas Synod of the Lutheran Church sent missionaries to lead services held in homes and schools. Families dedicated a sanctuary in the downtown Winters area in October 1904 and formally organized on November 6 of that year as St. John’s Lutheran Church. Members learned the railroad line would run adjacent to their property when it arrived in 1909, so they built a new sanctuary on the west side of town. Facilities have expanded over the years and include the present sanctuary, constructed in 1930. The congregation grew, and its members participated actively in Winters’ development and social activities. Many parishioners operated local businesses, and others
Although church members served in the U.S. Armed Forces, local anti-German sentiment during the First World War led to the congregation minimizing its services, which were held in German; relations slowly mended following the war. During the Second World War, congregation members maintained their visible and patriotic role in support of U.S. involvement overseas.
St. John’s members continue to serve their local and global communities. The church remains a spiritual home for many in the Winters area.
Erected 2005 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13307.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Patriots & Patriotism • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 57.561′ N, 99° 58.505′ W. Marker is in Winters, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Parsonage Street and N. West Street, on the right when traveling west on W. Parsonage Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Winters TX 79567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Rock Hotel (approx. 0.6 miles away); Winters State Bank (approx. 0.7 miles away); Winters (approx. ¾ mile away); Winters Public Library Blue Gap Post Office (approx. ¾ mile away); Winters Lodge No. 743, A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Cotton Oil Mill (approx. ¾ mile away); Robert Cooke, M.D. (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Winters.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 219 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 19, 2016, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.