Trinity Horse Shed Reconstruction
History of Trinity Horse Sheds
Trinity-Freistadt Congregation had horse sheds located on three different sites. The first horse sheds were located north of the present school building. The second sheds were west of Granville Road, south of the church. Sheds were two or four stalls per building with doors. The stall closest to the church was for the undertaker. (He said he needed that stall for his job.)
Members may have picked numbers from a hat to determine their horse shed location. The closer you were to church the more you paid. Members also had to purchase their own lumber. Some members chose to move their sheds to their own property.
The third location was west of the present church. In 1916, 40 stalls (6 sections of 6 stalls and 1 section of 4 stalls) were built. In later years the #1 stall was for the janitor.
After the demise of the horse drawn vehicle the sheds were used for cars. School children would play in them, park their bikes if they had them, or put their sleds in them in the winter.
Between 1949 and 1950 plans for a new school addition were started and these horse
This building is a reconstruction of the third set of Trinity Horse Sheds.
In January 1990 the Trinity Historical Society started planning the reconstruction and by December of that year had submitted plans to the city of Mequon Planning commission. The permit was given in March of 1991, and construction started in October, 1993. In November of 1993 the lumber was ordered and in April 1995 the beam frames were put up.
There is a complete account of the reconstruction inside the shed.Thanks to Andrew Gonstead, Troopo 80, Menomonee Falls, for painting this building as part of his Eagle project.
Erected by Trinity Historical Society. (Marker Number 7.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1990.
Location. 43° 14.041′ N, 88° 2.796′ W. Marker is in Mequon, Wisconsin, in Ozaukee County. Marker can be reached from Church Place, 0.1 miles south of Freistadt Road, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in the Trinity Freistadt Historical Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mequon WI 53097, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Gierach Smokehouse (a few steps from this marker); Mueller Machine Shed (a few steps from this marker); Vogt Woodshed/Radue Gas Engine (a few steps from this marker); Cemetery Outhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Radue Chicken Coop (within shouting distance of this marker); Baeseman Log Cabin (within shouting distance of this marker); Klumb-Beuscher Bake Oven (within shouting distance of this marker); Trinity School Woodshed (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mequon.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan. This page has been viewed 184 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 8, 2016, by Joel Seewald of Madison Heights, Michigan.