104 East Main Street
of Historic Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. 38° 24.464′ N, 85° 22.714′ W. Marker is in La Grange, Kentucky, in Oldham County. Marker is on Main Street east of 1st Street (Kentucky Route 53), on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 East Main Street, La Grange KY 40031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel William Oldham (within shouting distance of this marker); William Berry Taylor of Spring Hill (within shouting distance of this marker); A Masonic Leader (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Funk Seminary Site (about 400 feet away); Oldham County, 1824 (about 500 feet away); James and Amanda Mount Home / J.C. Barnett Library and Archives (about 500 feet away); William T. Barbour House (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in La Grange.
Regarding 104 East Main Street.
The 1988 Central La Grange National Register Historic District Registration Form reads:
104 East Main Street, c. 1900/1980s. One of two serious intrusions along this otherwise extremely intact block of Main Street. Three freestanding one-story buildings dating from c. 1900 have been thoroughly altered with a replacement stucco and false half-timbered facade and tied together with an unbroken pent-roof element. Cast-iron columns of the two eastern storefronts are still visible. Portions of exterior side walls have been removed to create one interior space. Two recent additions are located to the rear.
Contributor note: The Form states that the building is "Non-contributing" to the district but the "stucco and false half-timbered facade" as well as the "pent-roof element" have been removed. Apparently the building was added as "contributing" via an amendment to the historic district registration.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 22, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 201 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 23, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.