Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
New Boston in Bowie County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Bowie County

 
 
This 1936 Pink Granite Highway Marker has a 1971 plaque on it. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. This 1936 Pink Granite Highway Marker has a 1971 plaque on it.
Inscription.  
Named for James Bowie (1799-1836), who fought for Texas freedom from 1819, when he joined the Long Expedition, to 1836 — when he died in defense of the Alamo.

Inhabited before 1800 by agricultural Indians, charted 1819 for Anglo-American settlement, this was Red River County land when Texas Republic was founded in 1836.

Bowie County was created Dec. 18, 1840; organized Feb. 1, 1841. County seats: DeKalb, Old Boston, Texarkana, and Boston.

Forceful citizens joined in beginning railroad construction in 1857. Economy is based on agriculture, lumber, manufacturing.
 
Erected 1971 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 9469.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is February 1, 1841.
 
Location. 33° 28.401′ N, 94° 24.35′ W. Marker is in
Pink Granite 1936 Bowie County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Pink Granite 1936 Bowie County Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
New Boston, Texas, in Bowie County. Marker is on James Bowie Drive 0.1 miles east of North McCoy Boulevard (Texas Highway 8), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 710 James Bowie Drive, New Boston TX 75570, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 2 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Bowie / Gold Star County (a few steps from this marker); Pecan Point Signers (approx. 6.8 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Replacement plaque: Original text (1936): In 1836 a part of Red River County. Created December 17, 1840; organized February 1, 1841. Named in honor of James Bowie, 1785-1836; member of Long's Expedition, defender of Texas liberty, a martyr of the Alamo. Old Boston, 1841, Texarkana and New Boston have served as county seat.
 
Also see . . .  Texas Historical Association article on Bowie County. (Submitted on July 26, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
 
Bowie County Courthouse in background of marker. image. Click for full size.
By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
3. Bowie County Courthouse in background of marker.
James "Jim" Bowie image. Click for full size.
By Public domain
4. James "Jim" Bowie
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 26, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 26, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 374 times since then and 18 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 26, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=96141

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 24, 2021