Palm Beach in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
East of this marker is the Episcopal Church of Bethesda-By-The-Sea built in 1894 (last service held Easter Sunday April 12, 1925). Most of the worshippers came by boat as there was no roadway to the church, which was bordered on the east by an extensive marsh. The original Bethesda-By-The-Sea edifice built nearby in 1889 was the only church building within a radius of 150 miles.
Erected 1967 by Seminole Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
Location. 26° 44.039′ N, 80° 2.492′ W. Marker is in Palm Beach, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker is on North Lake Trail 0.1 miles from Tangier Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Access is from the end of Tangier Avenue to the south. Physical address is from the opposite side of the house though no access to marker can be had from there. Touch for map. Marker is Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Duck's Nest (within shouting distance of this marker); Northwood Road Historic District (approx. 0.7 miles away); Paramount Theatre (approx. one mile away); Old Northwood Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Henry Morrison Flagler (approx. 1.1 miles away); Evergreen Cemetery (approx. 1.1 miles away); Flagler Memorial Bridge (approx. 1.1 miles away); West Palm Beach Fishing Club (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palm Beach.
Regarding Bethesda-By-The-Sea. Only small glimpses of the building, now a private home, can be viewed through the dense foliage. This is the second of three buildings that has housed the church.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 249 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.