Childress in Childress County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Created • Organized
August 21, 1876 • April 11, 1887
Named in honor of
George Campbell Childress
1804 – 1841
A member of the Convention
Co-author of the Texas
Declaration of Independence
Childress, the County Seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 829.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 11, 1887.
Location. 34° 25.555′ N, 100° 12.318′ W. Marker is in Childress, Texas, in Childress County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue E Northwest and North Main Street, on the right when traveling west on Avenue E Northwest. Located on the lawn of the Childress County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Avenue E Northwest, Childress TX 79201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Colonel Wm. Edgar Hughes of the Mill Iron (within shouting distance of this marker); Frank Collinson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Childress Post Office Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Palace Theater (approx. ¼ mile away); Goodnight Trail (approx. 0.4 miles away); Childress Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); Old Railroad Y.M.C.A. (approx. 0.6 miles away); Morgan Hospital (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Childress.
Also see . . .
1. Wikipedia article on Childress County. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Wikipedia article on George Childress. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 13, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 507 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.