Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
from Red River County
Organized in 1841
Named in honor of
Mirabeau B. Lamar, 1798 – 1859
Father of Texas education
President of the Republic of Texas
1838 – 1841
Mount Vernon, 1843
Paris, originally called Pinhook,
1844, have served as county seat
Erected 1936 by the State of Texas. (Marker Number 8204.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 17, 1840.
Location. 33° 39.645′ N, 95° 36.125′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of Bonham Street (U.S. 82) and 41st Street NW, on the right when traveling east on Bonham Street. Located in a small roadside park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Bonham Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured Site of Lafayette (approx. 2 miles away); Central National Road (approx. 2 miles away); Union Station (approx. 2 miles away); Burial Site of John S. Chisum (approx. 2.1 miles away); Old Cemetery of Paris (approx. 2.4 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 2.4 miles away); Paris (approx. 2˝ miles away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. 2.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . . Texas State Historical Association article on Lamar County. (Submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 21, 2019. It was originally submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 661 times since then and 143 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 13, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.