Clarksville in Red River County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Red River County Jail
This building was completed in 1889 as the second jail for Red River County. Architects Maj. S. B. Haggart and Marshall Sanguinet designed the structure as a companion building to the County Courthouse, which had been completed five years earlier. The elaborate high Victorian Italianate styling of the Red River County Jail features finely crafted stonework and intricate metal cornices.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1982 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 10888.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 33° 36.776′ N, 95° 3.135′ W. Marker is in Clarksville, Texas, in Red River County. Marker is at the intersection of Madison Street and Pecan Street on Madison Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Madison Street, Clarksville TX 75426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Red River Courthouse (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Red River County War Memorial (about St. Paul Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); The Northern Standard (about 700 feet away); The Rev. William Stevenson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Home of Col. Charles DeMorse (approx. 0.2 miles away); Stagecoach Stand, C. S. A. (approx. 0.2 miles away); Five Signers of the Texas Declaration of Independence from Red River County (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksville.
Also see . . . Historic Red River County Jail. (Submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 434 times since then and 62 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.