Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Paris Fire Department
Fire protection in Paris dates to the early 1870s, when a group of businessmen led by Willet Babcock organized a volunteer fire company. Known as Phoenix Fire Company No. 1, the volunteer unit continued in operation until the city created a paid fire department in 1908. Operating from facilities at this site since 1884, the fire department has exhibited exemplary service in a number of disastrous fires, most notably the great fire of March 21, 1916, which killed three people, destroyed 1,400 buildings, and caused millions of dollars' worth of property damage.
Erected 1990 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 8217.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Notable Places. A significant historical date for this entry is March 21, 1916.
Location. 33° 39.598′ N, 95° 33.308′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of East Kaufman Street and 1st Street SE, on the left when traveling east on East Kaufman Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 107 East Kaufman Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Robert Cooke Buckner (within shouting distance of this marker); First Baptist Church of Paris (within shouting distance of this marker); Central Presbyterian ChurchThe Paris Fire, 1916 (about 600 feet away); John James Culbertson (about 700 feet away); Paris Public Schools (about 700 feet away); First National Bank of Paris (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lamar County Courthouse (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Also see . . . Paris Fire Department website. (Submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 311 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.