Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Attempts to bring rail service to Lamar County began in the mid-1800s, but a line did not reach the city of Paris until one was built to the south side of town in 1875. Residents raised money to entice the St. Louis & San Francisco (Frisco) to extend its line to Paris from the north, and the Gulf, Colorado & Santa Fe to extend from Galveston from the southeast. The lines met here in 1887. By 1912, five lines served Paris: The Texas & Pacific, the Santa Fe, the Frisco, the Texas Midland, and the Paris & Mount Pleasant.
In addition to small depots serving individual railroads, the city had a wooden Union Station by the early 1900s at this site. In 1910, construction on the present Union Station began, and it opened for business in 1912 serving Frisco, Santa Fe and Texas Midland passenger trains. Segregated waiting rooms served patrons, and the railway express agency occupied the south wing. The architect is unknown, but the Prairie and Italianate style design is similar to others on the Frisco rail line. The building's dark-colored brick is complemented by lighter stone sills and lintels. The tiled, hipped roof features dormers and deep, overhanging eaves with brackets. The 77-foot tower resembles an Italian campanile, or watch tower.
Rail passenger numbers in Paris peaked during World War II due to nearby Camp Maxey, but as automobile usage increased, passenger rail travel declined. The Santa Fe ended service
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 2003 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13688.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1875.
Location. 33° 39.602′ N, 95° 34.017′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is on West Kaufman Street south of Bonham Street (Business U.S. 82), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: West Kaufman Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Central National Road (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Burial Site of John S. Chisum (approx. half a mile away); Old Cemetery of Paris (approx. half a mile away); Paris (approx. half a mile away); First National Bank of Paris (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Paris Fire, 1916 (approx. 0.6 miles away); John James Culbertson (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Regarding Union Station. Union Station was restored and now is home to the Valley of the Caddo Museum & Cultural Center, Chamber of Commerce, Economic Development Corporation and the County Genealogical Society, while the land surrounding
Credits. This page was last revised on November 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 464 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on August 15, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.