Jupiter in Palm Beach County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Designed by George G. Meade, later Federal commander at Gettysburg. First lighted July 10, 1860. Dark during the War Between the States and its mechanism hidden by Southern sympathizers. Relighted June 28, 1866, it has not missed a night in over 100 years. Early keepers: Thomas Twiner, J.F. Papy, Wm. B. Davis, James A. Armour, Joseph A. Wells, Thomas Knight, Charles Seabrook. Operated by the United States Coast Guard since 1939.
Erected 1967 by Florida State Society, Daughters of the American Colonists.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Colonists, and the Lighthouses series lists. A significant historical date for this entry is July 10, 1860.
Location. 26° 56.907′ N, 80° 4.948′ W. Marker is in Jupiter, Florida, in Palm Beach County. Marker can be reached from Captain Armour's Way, 0.3 miles south of South Beach Road (Road 707), on the left when traveling south. Marker is located inside the park near the lighthouse. Payment for entry is required. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 Captain Armour’s Way, Jupiter FL 33469, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Jupiter Lighthouse Museum (within shouting distance of this marker); Seminoles and Pioneers (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Unconquered Legacy (about 400 feet away); A People By The Sea (about 400 feet away); World War II U.S. Naval Housing Building (about 600 feet away); "Dive Into History" (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Jupiter and Lake Worth Railway (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ft. Jupiter - Jupiter Lighthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Jupiter.
Also see . . . Jupiter Inlet Lighthouse and Museum. (Submitted on August 17, 2016.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2018. It was originally submitted on August 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. This page has been viewed 587 times since then and 71 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 16, 2016, by Tim Fillmon of Webster, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.