Thomas Stinson Cummins, owner of a successful dry goods store, built his home in the early 1870s on the outskirts of the growing village of Marion. The home was purchased in 1889 by Henry M. Barnhart, an inventor, and co-founder of the Marion Steam Shovel Company. In 1927, it was sold to the Schaffner- Queen firm of funeral directors and converted into a funeral home. Franklin Schaffner had previously been responsible for the funeral arrangements for President and Mrs. Warren G. Harding. A succession of businesses has maintained it as a funeral home. As of 2016, the buildimg is occupied by the Denzer-Farison-Hottinger & Snyder Funeral Home.
The home, built in the Second Empire style popular in post-Civil War design, features a Mansard roof that provided space for a ballroom with an adjacent receiving area and tea room. The attic was subsequently converted to a coffin showroom. Exterior modifications included the removal of the dome atop the octagonal tower, replacement of the original one-story columns and porch with two-story iconic columns supporting a balcony and topped with
Erected 2016 by Marion County Historical Society The Ohio History Connection. (Marker Number 16- 51.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #29 Warren G. Harding, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists.
Location. 40° 35.348′ N, 83° 7.313′ W. Marker is in Marion, Ohio, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of East Center Street (Ohio Route 309) and Sharpless Ct, on the right when traveling west on East Center Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 360 East Center Street, Marion OH 43302, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Bell Brought to Marion County (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Rooster Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Marion Cemetery (approx. Ό mile away); Ornamental Stone (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marion Post Office (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marion County Courthouse (approx. 0.3 miles away); Marion County Revolutionary Soldiers Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); War Memorials (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marion.
Additional keywords. Lincoln Highway
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 522 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 22, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.