Chalmette in St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The Malus-Beauregard House
Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve
Rene Beauregard bought the house in 1880; this photo was taken about ten years later.
The brick addition shown below had collapsed before the National Park Service took possession of the house. In the 1950s the 1905 wooden addition was removed and the house was restored to become the site's visitor center. In the 1990s the house was restored to its probable 1856-1866 style, the first period for which there is a record of the house's appearance.
Erected by National
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Architecture.
Location. 29° 56.423′ N, 89° 59.657′ W. Marker is in Chalmette, Louisiana, in St. Bernard Parish. Marker is on River Road 0.7 miles west of Pompano Drive, on the right when traveling west. Marker can be reached from Battlefield Road within the Chalmette Battlefield portion of the Jean Lafitte National Historical Park and Preserve. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chalmette LA 70043, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. After the Battle (here, next to this marker); Battery One and Forward Redoubt (within shouting distance of this marker); The Battle on the West Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Redoubt and Battery 1 (within shouting distance of this marker); The West Bank Assault (within shouting distance of this marker); Attack Along the River (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); In Memory of Major Samuel Spotts U.S.A. (about 300 feet away); Chalmet Plantation (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chalmette.
Also see . . .
1. Chalmette Battlefield. (Submitted on August 22, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
2. Beauregard House. (Submitted on August 23, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2017. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 333 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 22, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. 3, 4, 5. submitted on August 23, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?