Hillsborough in Hillsborough County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Stone Arch Bridges
Beginning in the 1830's, a few arched granite
highway bridges were built in southern New
Hampshire under the supervision of engineers
from major manufacturing centers. By the 1850's,
rural stonemasons had mastered the art of
building such bridges without mortar. Hiram
Monroe (1799-1871), active in town affairs,
persuaded Hillsborough to build a dozen. Five
survive, and a sixth is covered by Franklin
Pierce Lake. Among the local builders were
Reuben E. Loveren (1817-1883), and brothers
Calvin A. Gould (1826-1877) and James H. Gould
(1828-1890). All three worked on this, the
double-arched Sawyer Bridge, in 1866.
Erected 2006 by State of New Hampshire. (Marker Number 203.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts.
Location. 43° 6.7′ N, 71° 55.123′ W. Marker is in Hillsborough, New Hampshire, in Hillsborough County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hillsborough NH 03244, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pierce Homestead (approx. 1.6 miles away); Piscataquog River Mill Sites (approx. 8˝ miles away); Birthplace of the Seventh Day Adventist Church (approx. 9.8 miles away); Washington NH Civil War Memorial (approx. 10 miles away); Washington NH Town Common (approx. 10 miles away); Washington NH (approx. 10 miles away); Stoddard Glass (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on August 23, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 22, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 268 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on August 22, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.