The Lyman Building
A prominent Manistee jeweler, who's place of business was two doors west at the corner of River and Oak Streets, contracted to have the structure at 427 River Street (the west half of the current building) built in the summer of 1883. Construction began in August for the 24 X 90 building and was completed in November. Abel S. Haines, "the dry goods king", was the store's first occupant.
Haines' drygoods business was not long lived at this location, however. In 1885 the ever expanding wholesale and retail drug business of A.H. Lyman took residence. Manistee's rapid growth during the 1880's necessitated additional space for the business and in 1892, the adjacent store at 425 River Street was taken over. This became the book and stationary department of the business. The building was owned at the time by R.R. Blacker and had been built in 1885.
In April of 1886, a fire caught in the basement of the Lyman Company causing smoke and water damage to the stock. Blacker at that time offered Lyman the use of the 425 address, which had been recently completed, until Lyman's store could be repaired.
By the mid 1890's, the Lyman Company
Short worked in the business until his death in 1940 and White until his death in 1952. White's family continued the book and school supply store until 1957, and, in 1960 they gave the building to the Manistee County Historical Museum.
Year Built: 1883
First Owner: Clark D. Gardner
Builder: Maxted & Newcomb
Style: Commercial Victorian
Address: 425-427 River Street
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1883.
Location. 44° 14.85′ N, 86° 19.496′ W. Marker is in Manistee, Michigan, in Manistee County. Marker is on River Street west of Maple Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 425-427 River Street, Manistee MI 49660, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Thompson Building (a few steps from this marker); The Haley Block (a few steps from this marker); The Gardner Building (within shouting distance of this marker); The Tunnel
Also see . . .
1. History of Manistee, Michigan. (Submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Manistee Commercial National Register Historic District Buildings. (Submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 175 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 3, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.