Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First National Bank of Paris
McDonald was bank president for many years and upon his death, left the bulk of his estate to the University of Texas to erect an observatory. In 1939 McDonald Observatory, in West Texas, was dedicated.
Present bank building was completed in 1916, but less than 3 months later was gutted by a ruinous city-wide fire. Within the year, however, it was restored.
Throughout the years, the bank has been a bulwark of the area's economy. During the Great Depression of the 1930s, its loans enabled many merchants and farmers to stay in business. In 1951 the bank portion of the building was remodeled. The present
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8195.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings.
Location. 33° 39.689′ N, 95° 33.438′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of 1st Street NW (Business U.S. 271) and Bonham Street (Business U.S. 82), on the right when traveling south on 1st Street NW. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1st Street NW, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John James Culbertson (within shouting distance of this marker); The Paris Fire, 1916 (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lamar County, C. S. A. (about 300 feet away); Lamar County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Paris (about 600 feet away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Cooke Buckner (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 296 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.