“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Paris in Lamar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)

Lamar County Courthouse

Lamar County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
1. Lamar County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The March 1916 fire that left downtown Paris in ruins ravaged Lamar County's massive 1897 Romanesque courthouse and tower, once thought indestructible. On April 20, 1916, the Lamar County Commissioners Court chose local designers and builders William G. Barry, Edwin R. Smith and Elmer George Withers to work with the Fort Worth architectural firm of Sanguinet & Staats to design a new courthouse.

The county judge and commissioners court and Carl G. Staats reviewed the designs of several courthouses around the state. Some Paris residents requested that the new courthouse be built in the center of its lot in keeping with the city's plans for wide roads at the town square, but the court decided that it would be more efficient to build the new structure upon the same foundation as the old courthouse.

The upper ruins of the old courthouse were dismantled by July 1916. In late August the commissioners chose J. C. Buchanan and J. N. Gilder of Fort Worth, who did significant work in rebuilding Paris after the fire, to serve as contractors. Construction began in September. By that time the restoration and renovation of several other buildings around the square was nearing completion, and downtown Paris took on a modern appearance. Completed by November 1917, the new courthouse was built of fireproof concrete covered by rough
Lamar County Courthouse (marker under tree on right). image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mark Hilton, July 21, 2016
2. Lamar County Courthouse (marker under tree on right).
Click or scan to see
this page online
pink granite salvaged from the 1897 building. Distinctive features of the imposing Classical edifice include corner pavilions and engaged granite columns and the Classical cornice with matching terra cotta ornament (notably eagles and medallions). Marked by triple-arched porticos, the primary entrances echo the Romanesque style of the original structure.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12313.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: ArchitectureNotable Buildings. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1916.
Location. 33° 39.733′ N, 95° 33.388′ W. Marker is in Paris, Texas, in Lamar County. Marker is at the intersection of West Houston Street and North Main Street, on the left when traveling east on West Houston Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 119 North Main Street, Paris TX 75460, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lamar County, C. S. A. (a few steps from this marker); John James Culbertson (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Paris Fire, 1916 (about 500 feet away); Paris (about 700 feet away); Paris Public Schools (approx. 0.2 miles away); Paris Fire Department (approx. 0.2 miles away); First United Methodist Church of Paris (approx. 0.2 miles away); Robert Cooke Buckner (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Paris.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 9, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 287 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 9, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

Paid Advertisements

Jun. 28, 2022