Burlington in Chittenden County, Vermont — The American Northeast (New England)
First Unitarian Universalist Society Meeting House
Designed by noted architect Peter Banner of Boston, the Federal-style Meeting House was built in 1816 for the First Congregational Society (Unitarian) and is the oldest surviving place of worship in Burlington. Banner's design features a projecting square tower with octagonal belfry in front of the two-story brick nave. It was renovated in 1845 to reflect the Greek Revival style, retaining the tower's original design aesthetic. Its location and design have made the Meeting House one of the most recognized and significant historic landmarks in Burlington. In 1982 following a merger of the Unitarians and Universalists, the congregation voted to become the First Unitarian Universalist Society of Burlington.
Erected 2016 by Vermont Division for Historic Preservation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Unitarian Universalism (UUism) ⛪ series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
Location. 44° 28.834′ N, 73° 12.756′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 152 Pearl Street, Burlington VT 05401, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Church Street Marketplace (a few steps from this marker); The Meeting House (within shouting distance of this marker); Neighbors Helping Neighbors (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); 103 Church Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint-Joseph Parish (approx. ¼ mile away); Howard Bank Building (approx. ¼ mile away); Burlington Civil War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Old Gas Station (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Burlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 11, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec. This page has been viewed 195 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 13, 2016, by Kevin Craft of Bedford, Quebec.