Buffalo in Erie County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Thunder Over the Niagara
Gun Batteries Used in the War of 1812 in Black Rock
Canadian Gun Batteries.
Battery 1. 10° to northwest - Red House - (1) 24 pounder gun.*
Battery 2. Directly across the river from Broderick Park. Temporary - (1) 24 pounder.
Battery 3. 23° to southwest. Bryson's Artillery - (1) 6 pounder, (2) 3 pounder guns.*
Battery 4. 45° to southwest - Kirby's Artillery - armed with 3 guns captured from the HMS Detroit. Second Lincoln Artillery of Canadian militia + 49th Regiment of Foot.*
Batteries 5,6,7,8. 52° to southwest - on one sight line - just to the north of Fort Erie, seized by the Americans in July, 1814,
Batteries 9 & 10. 60° to southwest - American for the defense of Fort Erie in August, 1814. Built by Lt. David B. Douglass - (2) guns on a stonework wall, mounted en barbette on top without embrasures on right near Lake Erie plus Towson's Battery at Snake Hill.*
Battery 11. 73° to southwest - (1) gun led by Lt. King on Fort Erie's Battery Road.
Battery 12. (temporary) on the southwest shore of Squaw Island - (2) 24 pounder guns used by British to reinforce Riall's invasion of Black Rock in 1813.
*= batteries suggested as most important to locate from the sign.
The gun batteries themselves would have mostly been one or two levels built maily on mud embankments, sometimes reinforced with logs cut from the surrounding woods, having revetments capable of holding one to three guns, with a plank platform for the gunners to stand when aiming and firing the guns. In the background would be stacked supplies of grape shot, cannon balls, rockets, etc., needed to feed to the gunnery mates to keep the cannons in operation during a seige or artillery assault. A direct hit on the ammunition would wipe out the position, as happened in the seige of Fort Erie. In the permanent gun batteries of Fort George and Fort Niagara, the seige guns
American Gun Batteries.
Battery 1. One mile up Scajaquada Creek on the south bank guarding the bridge one-half mile more upstram (near present day Dart Street extension) contained (2) 12 pounders and (1) 18 pounder from the HMS Detroit.
Battery 2. Morgan's Battery - on the south shore of the Scajaquada Creek Bridge, in possessing (2) 6 pounders. Existed three days from August 3-6, 1814, to serve the battle.
Battery 3. Sailor's Battery - one-half mile to the south of the mouth of Scajaquada Creek where it meets the Niagara River behind the eastern shore of Squaw Island, having (3) 32 pounder long guns - near Forest & Niagara Streets today.
Battery 4. Swift's Battery - another one-half mile to the south along the Niagaar River, featuring 24, 18, 12, and 6 pounders each. - near Lafayette & Niagara Streets today.
Battery 5. Dudley's Battery - another one-half mile to the south. (3) guns - near the intersection of Breckenridge & Niagara
Battery 6. Gibson's Battery - another one-half mile to the south. (3) guns - near Ferry & Niagara Streets.
Battery 7. Fort Thompkins Battery - another one-half mile to the south. August, 1812-1814. It was an earthworks gun emplacement of (7) 12 pounders, Attacked by British in December, 1813, who then carried off all guns. Plaque at 1010 Niagara Street today.
Battery 8. Guskin's Battery - one-quater mile further to the southeast. (1) gun.
Battery 9. Old Sow Battery - one-quarter mile south in a ravine with four foot high earthworks; (1) mortar above - near where Rhode Island & Niagara Streets are today.
Battery 10. Terrace Battery - one mile to the southeast inland - (2) gun earthenwork.
Many of these batteries were temporary, mounted on mud embankments to meet the needs of a particular battle, then quickly dismantled before enemy artillery could fix on their position. Some were set up hastily on portable horsedrawn gun carriages to provide additional backup where warranted, then quickly moved. Others were more permanent with three forward walls but were open at the rear for supplies and ammunition to be brought in. Some had long roofs and a second level to keep weather and shot off gunners inside. Temporary batteries needed a crew of four, two to drive the horses and assist in preparing the cannon to fire and the other two to fire the gun,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War of 1812. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1814.
Location. 42° 55.716′ N, 78° 54.398′ W. Marker is in Buffalo, New York, in Erie County. Marker can be reached from Niagara Street (New York State Route 266). Marker is on the north part of Unity Island (nee Squaw Island) in Broderick Park along the bike/pedestrian trail, just south of the International Railway Bridge. Access the marker by crossing the single lane vehicle lane of the section of the International Railway Bridge over the Black Rock Channel at Niagara Street. Continue to the first parking lot and walk south on the bike/pedestrian trail. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Buffalo NY 14213, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Niagara River and her Ships (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Unity Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Black Rock Lock (approx. 0.4 miles away); Porter Square (approx. 0.4 miles away); International Railroad Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Market Square (approx. half a mile away); Burning of Blackrock and Buffalo (approx. half a mile away); The War of 1812 (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Buffalo.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 19, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 305 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on September 19, 2016, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.