Parker in Douglas County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
10965 Pikes Peak Drive
— Town of Parker Landmark —
In 1910, newlyweds James and Victoria Newcomb bought this property from George Parker for $150. In January of 1911 they built their first home, which is the central portion of the present house. Reputedly, it was built quickly, "up and all closed in" in just 21 days. James had moved to Parker in March of 1910 and had opened a barber shop in the Rhode Island Hotel. James was also a fine violinist and formed Newcomb's Orchestra, later called the Parker Band. In the fall of 1911, James built his own shop across the street from the Rhode Island Hotel and for many years the couple moved back and forth between the house and the rear quarters of the shop, renting out the house at least five times between 1913 and 1926.
Victoria, who had once taught at Pine Grove School with her sister, Laura, became Postmaster of Parker in 1914 and held that position for 34 years. By 1930, James and Victoria had separated but Victoria remained on as one of Parker's most steadfast citizens. She and her sister lived together in this house from the late 1930s until their deaths in the early 1960s.
The home was designated a Parker Landmark on
Erected by Town of Parker.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Landmarks • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1911.
Location. 39° 31.05′ N, 104° 45.715′ W. Marker is in Parker, Colorado, in Douglas County. Marker is on South Pikes Peak Drive south of Pilgrims Place, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100965 South Pikes Peak Drive, Parker CO 80138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Ave Maria Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Dedication to Parker's Most Significant Early Doctor (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Twenty Mile House (about 600 feet away); Hood House (approx. 3.4 miles away); Cherry Creek Camp (approx. 3˝ miles away); Russellville - History of Franktown / Franktown Country - Timber Industry (approx. 7.6 miles away); Franktown (approx. 8.9 miles away); Founders Village (approx. 10.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Parker.
Also see . . . The Newcomb House. Parker's History website entry (Submitted on September 19, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 1, 2023. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 511 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on September 19, 2016, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.