Hanalei in Kauai County, Hawaii — Hawaiian Island Archipelago (Pacific Ocean)
Waioli Mission Hall
The building design, distinguished by its lanais and steep double pitched roof, is a notable adaption of New England building traditions to Hawaiian culture and climate. This building served as the mission church until the adjacent 1912 Waioli church sanctuary was constructed to accommodate the growing congregation. The building has been restored after surviving severe damage from Hurricane Iniki in 1992. It is listed on both the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Waioli Mission Hall has served its church and community in various activities for the diverse ministries of the Waioli Hui‘ia Church and the glory of God.
Topics. This historical marker Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1834.
Location. 22° 12.081′ N, 159° 30.103′ W. Marker is in Hanalei, Hawaii, in Kauai County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Kuhio Highway (State Highway 560) and Mahimahi Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hanalei HI 96714, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Hanalei Schoolhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Russian Fort Alexander (approx. 1.4 miles away); Daniel K. Inouye (approx. 6.7 miles away); Maunakapu and Wailua River (approx. 14.1 miles away); Wai'ale'ale (approx. 14.1 miles away); Poli'auh Heiau (approx. 14.2 miles away); Roxy Theater (approx. 14.6 miles away); The Kapa'a Japanese Stone Lantern (Ishidoro) (approx. 14.6 miles away).
More about this marker. Marker is attached to the front of the Mission Hall, next to the door. Difficult to see from the street.
Regarding Waioli Mission Hall. Following Captain Cook's "discovery" of Hawaii in 1778 there came the sandalwood traders, whalers, and the missionaries. With the renunciation of the indigenous religion in 1819 by Native royalty, the missionaries
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 2,222 times since then and 134 times this year. It was the Marker of the Week August 10, 2008. Photos: 1. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. 2. submitted on June 9, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. 4. submitted on June 9, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 5, 6, 7. submitted on August 2, 2008, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.