Lewis & Clark Memorial Bridge at Chamberlain
Meriwether Lewis and William Clark with their party camped at several points
near this crossing. In September 1804, continuous rain had soaked their gear.
They stopped near Ocoma, above the mouth of the American Crow Creek at a place
They called “Camp Pleasant”. Here, in warm and delightful weather, they rested,
Dried their equipment, and repacked their boats. While here, Captain Lewis
hunted, killing a buffalo and a magpie, a bird not known in the eastern states.
The men ate delicious plums and found an abundance of acorns from burr
oak, upon which they feasted. Lewis explored American Island noting “a large
perportion of seeder” on it
The expedition returned to this area, homeward bound, in August, 1806 after
having journeyed into the unknown and immortality.
Erected 1974 by South Dakota Department of Transportation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts
Location. 43° 47.198′ N, 99° 20.401′ W. Marker is near Chamberlain, South Dakota, in Brule County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 90 at milepost 264. Marker is in the concrete “tipi” behind the rest area/overlook. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Chamberlain SD 57325, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mount Rushmore National Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Purple Heart Memorial Highway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); World's Only Corn Palace - Mitchell (about 300 feet away); State Capitol - Pierre (about 300 feet away); Sojourn at Camp Pleasant (about 300 feet away); Lewis and Clark Bicentennial 1804-2004 (about 500 feet away); Missouri River Bridges of South Dakota (about 500 feet away); Dignity (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chamberlain.
Additional keywords. Lewis and Clark
Credits. This page was last revised on September 27, 2016. It was originally submitted on September 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on September 26, 2016, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.