The Mount Airy Rail Yard
Historic Downtown Mount Airy
This site was once the Mount Airy rail yard. Passenger trains stopped here to pick up and drop off passengers at the Mount Airy Station. Children from Watersville and other nearby communities would ride the train to attend school in Mount Airy. Freight trains stopped here to pick up milk from local farmers, canned vegetables packed at the Mount Airy Canning Company and milled grain from Runkles Mill, and later, the Mount Airy Milling Company.
Passenger service through Mount Airy ended December 31, 1949. The entire line through Mount Airy was abandoned by the B&O in 1959. Since then, the tracks have been removed and the area around the station paved for a parking lot.
[Photo captions read]
Railroad Crossing Guard's Shack
B&O Railroad Passenger Train Time Table (Schedule)
Photographs courtesy of the Historical Society of Mount Airy
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Runkles Mill and The Mt. Airy Milling Company (here, next to this marker); The Mount Airy Station (a few steps from this marker); First National Bank Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Civil War Memorial (approx. half a mile away); All Wars Memorial (approx. half a mile away); Mount Airy (approx. half a mile away); Parrsville & Ridgeville (approx. 0.9 miles away); Poplar Springs (approx. 3.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Airy.
Also see . . .
1. History of Mount Airy, Maryland. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. About Downtown Mount Airy, MD. (Submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 7, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 284 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 7, 2016, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.