White Plains in Charles County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Historical Role in our Nation’s Defense
— Indian Head Rail Trail —
Reliable Transportation Needs - Harsh Winters limited the use of the Potomac River to transport raw material and finished products to and from the Naval Base in Indian Head. To further complicate the issue, land routes (gravel roads) were often slow or completely unusable due to seasonal wet conditions and frequent flooding. So the development of a railroad was needed to meet the supply demands brought on by an escalating European conflict.
In 1918, congress appropriated a sum of $800,000 for this project. Brothers, Fred and Marshall Bailey were awarded a bid to build the fourteen and one-half mile railroad, connecting Indian Head to the existing Pennsylvania railroad junction in White Plains. The contractor, using thirty local men, completed construction in just six months. In May 1919, the railway
Indian Head's Naval Base not only played an important role in our Nation's military history, but also in Charles County's overall economy. The base has been the area's largest employer for most of the past century. During the onset of World War l, in an effort to get employees to work more quickly, a footbridge was constructed across Mattawoman Creek to connect the communities of Marbury and Pisgah to the base. Remnant pilings can still be seen today.
Just prior to World War II, as roads were paved and transportation routes improved, this railroad became obsolete and sat unused for decades. In 2006, the U.S. Navy - through the Department of the Interiors Federal Lands to Parks Program - generously donated this abandoned RR corridor to Charles County. This property was dedicated for the public's perpetual recreational use and enjoyment. The Indian Head Rail Trail represents Southern Marylands first successful rails-to-trails conversion project.
Where Uncle Sam tests his big guns – 1919
Early employment recruitment poster
Railroad once provided USN with reliable transportation
Powder Factory railroad repairs
1918 railroad construction operation
USN Mark II Railway Gun open breech inspection
Erected by Charles County.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • War, Korean • War, Vietnam • War, World I • War, World II.
Location. 38° 35.507′ N, 76° 56.826′ W. Marker is in White Plains, Maryland, in Charles County. Marker can be reached from Theodore Green Boulevard 0.4 miles west of Crain Highway (U.S. 301), on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10390 Theodore Green Blvd, White Plains MD 20695, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Veterans Memorial (approx. 0.7 miles away); John Thomas Parran, Jr (approx. 3.1 miles away); Dr. Mudd's House (approx. 3.9 miles away); “The Monastery” (approx. 4 miles away); Friendship House....one of Charles County's Oldest (approx. 4 miles away); From Creek to the College of Southern Maryland (approx. 4.1 miles away); Church of St. Joseph (approx. 4.2 miles away); Honor Roll (approx. 4.2 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Indian Head Rail Trail. Charles County (Submitted on October 9, 2016.)
2. Indian Head—White Plains Railroad (pdf file). Maryland Inventory of Historic Properties (Submitted on August 5, 2019.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 8, 2019. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 298 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 9, 2016, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.