Sidney in Shelby County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
First Brick House
Erected by Shelby County Historical Society.
Location. 40° 15.462′ N, 84° 14.894′ W. Marker is in Sidney, Ohio, in Shelby County. Marker is on Houston Road near Hardin Wapakoneta Road, on the left when traveling west. 1000 feet west of Hardin Wapakoneta Road on Houston Road, south side of road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sidney OH 45365, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brookside Cemetery (approx. 1˝ miles away); Hardin (approx. 2 miles away); a different marker also named Hardin (approx. 2 miles away); General Harmar Military Trail (approx. 2.2 miles away); Lockington Dam (approx. 3 miles away); Lockington Locks (approx. 3˝ miles away); Sidney Fire Bell (approx. 5.1 miles away); Schultz's Battery (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sidney.
Regarding First Brick House. The house still stands, and is down
Also see . . . County’s oldest house still charms. 2018 article by Patricia Ann Speelman in the Sydney Daily News. “The house dates to 1816, when Irishman John Wilson built a home “sturdy enough to protect his family from Indian attacks,” said current owner Barbara Ditmer. The bricks — which were possibly made on the property — were laid using a Flemish bond, a pattern that alternated the ends and the sides of the bricks. The Flemish bond is thought to be among the strongest, and the house in Hardin may prove that rule. It has withstood a 1934 earthquake; a 1945 renovation that included an addition, the lowering of ceilings and the installation of a wood-burning furnace; and then almost 50 years of neglect, yet it still stands proud.” (Submitted on January 3, 2019, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for First Brick House.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 3, 2019. This page originally submitted on October 17, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. This page has been viewed 208 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on October 17, 2016, by Michael Baker of Lima, Ohio. 3, 4. submitted on June 26, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.