Campbellsville / Taylor County
First settled about 1800. Town, established by Legislature, 1817, was made seat of government when county was formed. It was named for Adam and Andrew Campbell who with three brothers came from Va., settling on father's land grants. Adam and Andrew among founders of town. Andrew died, 1819. Adam was prominent farmer and leader in Taylor County affairs.
Kentucky's 100th. established by Legislature, 1848, formed from a part of Green County. Named for Gen. Zachary Taylor, famed Kentucky soldier. Noted as Indian fighter: Ft. Harrison, War of 1812; Black hawk War, 1832; Florida Seminoles, 1837. Defeat of superior Mexican forces at Battle of Buena Vista, 1847, made him a national hero. Elected US President, 1848.
Erected 1966 by Kentucky Historical Society & Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 995.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Kentucky Historical Society marker series.
Location. 37° 20.483′ N, 85° 20.717′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Brig. Gen. Elias Barbee (here, next to this marker); Cumberland Trace (here, next to this marker); Confederate Raids (here, next to this marker); Courthouse Burned (here, next to this marker); First Taylor County Courthouse (here, next to this marker); Second Taylor County Courthouse - 1867 (here, next to this marker); Campbell Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rebel Guerrillas on Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Campbellsville.
Also see . . . History of Taylor County. (Submitted on October 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Campbellsville / Taylor County.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 30, 2016. This page originally submitted on October 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 178 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 29, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.