Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cottage Grove in Lane County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
 

Cottage Grove Historical Museum

1897 - 1983

 
 
Cottage Grove Historical Museum Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 20, 2016
1. Cottage Grove Historical Museum Marker
Inscription.  
Erected as a Roman Catholic church
Stained glass windows from Italy

Placed by
Calapooya Chapter
DAR

 
Erected by Daughters of the American Revolution Calapooya Chapter.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducation. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution series list.
 
Location. 43° 47.946′ N, 123° 3.902′ W. Marker is in Cottage Grove, Oregon, in Lane County. Marker is at the intersection of North H Street and Birch Avenue, on the right on North H Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 147 North H Street, Cottage Grove OR 97424, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. River Road (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Applegate Trail - Southern Route to Oregon (about 600 feet away); The Changing Trail to Oregon (about 600 feet away); Crossing the Calapooya Mountains (about 600 feet away); A Trail by Any Other Name
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church image. Click for more information.
By Larry Gertner, May 24, 2021
2. Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church
National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
Click for more information.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 600 feet away); The Centennial Bridge (about 700 feet away); Elijah Bristow (approx. 13.4 miles away); Bristow Monument (approx. 13.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cottage Grove.
 
Cottage Grove Historical Museum and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Andrew Ruppenstein, February 20, 2016
3. Cottage Grove Historical Museum and Marker
The marker is visible here, mounted just above the top of the steps.

Our Lady of Perpetual Help Roman Catholic Church, informally known as St. Mary's, was dedicated on December 5, 1897. It is a particularly significant building for its octagonal form. Although octagonal structures are not uncommon in 19th century Oregon architecture, an octagonal church is unusual. Emeritus Professor Philip Dole, of the Department of Historic Preservation in the School of Architecture and Allied Arts at the University of Oregon, has stated that this building is the only public building of its kind in the Pacific Northwest. The church remains largely intact and meets National Register Criterion C for architecture due to its unique octagonal form. It is also significant for its craftsmanship in representing the work of skilled local carpenters. - Statement of Significance, National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on May 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 31, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.   2. submitted on May 24, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   3. submitted on October 31, 2016, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=99271

Paid Advertisement
Jan. 27, 2022