Home of Dr. Ben Spalding on July 5, 1863
Later the Don V. Drye Funeral Home
— Latest use Marion County Board of Education Office —
Square, high-ceilinged rooms on both sides of a wide hall, a feature of the original plan and unaffected by later remodeling, are the nucleus of the modern establishment that has occupied them for nearly a quarter of a century.
While records do not show who built the house or when, there is reason to believe that its first owner was Dr. B. Spalding, by whose executors it was deeded to John P. Davis in the 1860's. The latter lived in it for a time before February 27, 1869, when it was sold to Uriah Gartin for $2720.50.
Gartin also owned another Marion County farm. His daughter, Mary Jane, and her husband, Gideon Bosley, who were married in 1853, moved into the town house from Washington County in about 1878 and were occupying it at the time of her father's death in 1882. In December of that year the place was offered up for sale and was purchased by Mr. Christopher
Mr. and Mrs. Cambron had no children but were never happier than when their house was filled with young people. he was a retired farmer and stock trader. They lived well, maintained a staff of servants and were known for their hospitality. They reared an orphan girl, Debbie Sullivan, and frequently had with them a favorite niece or other relative or friend.
Young Mary Mattingly (now Mrs. Frank R. Abell), daughter of the Tom B. Mattinglys who were former neighbors of the Cambrons at Springfield, came here at the age of six to stay with the Cambrons and attend school until her own family moved to Lebanon. Her brother, C. C. Mattingly of La., is named for Cambron.
A great-niece, Miss Mary E. McGill of Springfield, now of Indianapolis, spent much of her time inher uncle's home, and the Cambron place became a center for young people of the community. The veritable couple were "Uncle Lum" and "Aunt Mollie" to most of them, regardless of whether they actually were related.
After the death of Miss McGill's mother, she and her father, Charles C. McGill, whose mother was a sister of Mr. Cambron, came to Lebanon and built a home on Spalding Avenue -- the residence which for many years has been the home of Mrs. Will H. Purdy.
Mr. Cambron died in 1911. His wife stayed on at the old home until her death in 1921.
Afterward, when the place was offered for sale to settle the estate it was purchased by the late Hans Mueller. He and his family never occupied it, however. Mueller died in 1923. His widow, Mrs. Louise K. Mueller (later Steenman), held it as a rental investment until 1935 when she sold it to the Don V. Drye Company, Inc.
To adapt it to their use, the new owners made several changes at the start. A basement was dug to permit installation of a central heating plant; a latticed porch at the rear was enclosed and a room was added. The cistern, a relic of a pre-water works ere, was filled in, as was one of the two wells in the backyard. The other remains.
The place took on it's present proportions after further remodeling about five years ago. two of the three first-floor rooms on the north side of the house were united to provide a larger chapel. The long porch and portecochere were built on the side to afford another entrance, and two rooms were added above them. A new front porch with colonial columns also was built, and the whole was topped with an ornamental balustrade to strike an architectural balance.
Building was raised in 2002 to make way for the new Marion County Government Center.
Erected by The City of Lebanon.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is February 27, 1869.
Location. 37° 34.25′ N, 85° 15.183′ W. Marker is in Lebanon, Kentucky, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Martin Luther King Avenue and Spalding Avenue, on the left when traveling east on Martin Luther King Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lebanon KY 40033, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Maxwell House was Set on Fire by Morgan's Troops July 5th, 1863 (within shouting distance of this marker); Eminent Theologian (within shouting distance of this marker); The Kobert Place (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Courthouse Burned (about 500 feet away); Knott of Lebanon (about 500 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 600 feet away); Rosenwald School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Major General George H. Thomas at Lebanon, Kentucky (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lebanon.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 6, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 228 times since then and 14 times this year. Photo 1. submitted on November 6, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.