Madison in Madison County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Many dilapidated houses were demolished in the 1990s, and younger residents have moved away. Pension Row remains home to a small population, many of whom have lived here for generations. It has two historic churches: St. Peter United Methodist Church, founded in 1887, and St. Elizabeth Cumberland Presbyterian Church, founded in 1910. Both continue to draw worshippers from throughout western Madison County.
Erected 2010 by Alabama Tourism Department and the City of Madison
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 34° 41.747′ N, 86° 45.305′ W. Marker is in Madison, Alabama, in Madison County. Marker is at the intersection of Pension Row and Arnett St, on the left when traveling south on Pension Row. Marker was moved from its previous location on Mill Road. A sign on Mill Road points toward the current Pension Row location. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Madison AL 35758, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. James Henry Bibb (approx. 0.3 miles away); Affair at Madison Station / Affair at Indian Creek Ford (approx. 0.4 miles away); Trail of Tears (approx. 0.4 miles away); "The Roundhouse" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Madison County Veterans (approx. 0.4 miles away); Lee Mansion (approx. 2.8 miles away); White Hall (approx. 3.1 miles away); Mt. Zion Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Madison.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 9, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 6, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,223 times since then and 3 times this year. Last updated on November 7, 2016, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on July 6, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. 3. submitted on November 7, 2016, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.