Scott County's Carnegie Library
Scott County Board of Commissioners appointed a library board 1917 in response to citizen petitions for a public library. Library board sought Carnegie grant for funding assistance. locally $7,500 was raised; Carnegie grant of $12,500 was added. Library opened and had 4,453 volumes in 1921.
Structure of brick and limestone designed by Clifford Shopbell & Co. in Renaissance Revival style; 1986 addition designed by Pecsok, Jelliffe, Randall & Nice. One of 1,679 libraries built in U.S. with funds from Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. Indiana build more Carnegie libraries that any other state.
Erected 2002 by Indiana Historical Bureau, Preservation Alliance, Inc., and Scoutt County Community Foundation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Carnegie Libraries series list.
Location. 38° 41.085′ N, 85° 46.226′
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Scott County War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scott County Courthouse (about 300 feet away); William Hayden English (about 400 feet away); Scottsburg Depot (about 600 feet away); Scott County Home (approx. ¾ mile away); Lake Iola Interurban Site (approx. 0.8 miles away); Marshfield Train Robbery (approx. 2 miles away); Morgan's Great Raid (approx. 2½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Scottsburg.
Also see . . . A History of US Public Libraries - Carnegie Libraries. (Submitted on November 8, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 8, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 8, 2016, by Tom Bosse of Jefferson City, Tennessee. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.