Designed by local architect William G. Robinson, this castle-like edifice was constructed in 1884-86 for Colonel E. Crofton Fox and his brother Charles. Built of granite block imported from Scotland, this house is a fine example of Chateauesque Style architecture. A Heritage Hill landmark, this house features leaded and stained glass windows, and a metal stair dormer superbly crafted to resemble stone. Its interior is adorned with parquet flooring in the entry hall and a carved oak staircase. It was refurbished as a restaurant in 1978.
The Fox Brothers, Ethelbert Crofton (1852-1904) and Charles (1853-1915), local lumber barons, built this structure as their home. These brothers were partners in a Grand Rapids lumbering firm, Osterhout, Fox & Company, and accumulated vast wealth. Appointed to the State Military Board by Governor Cyrus Luce in 1887, E. Crofton, a colonel, was twice elected president of that organization. He was also associated with with banking and was treasurer of the City Board of Trade. Charles was the founder of the Michigan Trust Company, established in 1889.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Industry & Commerce • Natural Resources. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list.
Location. 42° 57.575′ N, 85° 39.431′ W. Marker is in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in Kent County. Marker is on Cherry Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 455 Cherry Street, Grand Rapids MI 49503, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Voigt House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Central Reformed Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Central High School (approx. 0.4 miles away); McCabe-Marlowe House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ladies Literary Club (approx. half a mile away); First (Park) Congregational Church (approx. half a mile away); Grand Rapids Veterans Memorial and Honor Roll (approx. 0.6 miles away); Kent County Civil War Monument & Fountain (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Grand Rapids.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 7, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 267 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 26, 2016, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.