Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Leeville in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
 

Leeville

(Circa 1893)

 
 
Leeville Marker image. Click for full size.
November 25, 2016
1. Leeville Marker
Inscription. Originally called Orange City because it was the site of the principal orange orchards of Lafourche Parish. After the "Chenier Caminada" Hurricane of 1893, survivors settled Missville and Cote des Elies. Cote des Elies was renamed Leeville in honor of Pierre Charles Lee and his wife Rosalie Albarado. Sometime after building of the 1908 bridge over Bayou Lafourche, the name Leeville was applied to the entire settlement. In 1938, Leeville became the oil producing capital of Lafourche Parish with 297 producing wells.
 
Location. 29° 15.427′ N, 90° 12.854′ W. Marker is in Leeville, Louisiana, in Lafourche Parish. Marker is on Old Louisiana 1 0.1 miles south of Gateway to the Gulf (Route 1), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 24214 Old Louisiana 1, Golden Meadow LA 70357, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Leeville Cemetery (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Parish of Jefferson (approx. 9.3 miles away); Golden Meadow High School (approx. 9.6 miles away); Golden Meadow (approx. 10 miles away); Cheniere Caminada Cemetery (approx. 10 miles away); Galliano (approx. 13.2 miles away).
 
Categories. Settlements & Settlers
 
Leeville Marker image. Click for full size.
November 25, 2016
2. Leeville Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2017. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2016. This page has been viewed 234 times since then and 68 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2016.
Paid Advertisement