Sandstone High School
New River Gorge National River
The school was first opened n 1925 as Green Sulphur District School and taught grades one through nine. The first graduating class in 1929 consisted of ten students. Through 1971, over 900 students began their first grade education and graduated high school on this site. The school later was known as Sandstone Elementary and High School. After consolidation, the school continued to teach elementary and junior high classes. After the decision was made to close the school, the last student attended in 1994.
The tradition of learning at Sandstone is just a small part of the diverse cultural history preserved within New River Gorge National River.
(Inscription under the image in the upper right)
Green Sulphur District (Sandstone High School)
(Inscription beside the image in the middle
Sandstone school alumni, (The-Hornets) have a strong loyalty to their old school and regularly hold reunions attended by all classes of former students.
(Inscription under the image in the lower right)
Sandstone School included a Vocational-Agriculture building annex for vocational education training, a gymnasium for physical education and basketball, and a football field.
Erected by National Park Service US Department of Interior.
Location. 37° 46.98′ N, 80° 53.856′ W. Marker is in Sandstone, West Virginia, in Summers County. Marker is on Meadows Creek Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 330 Meadows Creek Road, Sandstone WV 25985, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Brooks Overlook-Welcome (approx. 3.2 miles away); Hinton (approx. 7.7 miles away); Fort Culbertson (approx. 9.2 miles away); Wreck on the C&O (approx. 9.3 miles away); Big Bend Tunnel (approx. 11.7 miles away); Fort Greenbrier (approx. 12.9 miles away); Meadow River Lumber Company/United Methodist Church (approx. 14.4 miles away); Thurmond Depot (approx. 15.6 miles away).
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. This page has been viewed 100 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 27, 2016, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Md 21234. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.